Friday 8 December 2017

Barred Warbler




I missed out on a trip to Titchfield Haven on Wednesday. Even when Dave reported back that he had photographed the Barred Warbler and got his life tick I wasn't too worried. I had seen one before and had a record shot, of sorts, to show for it. It was only when I looked at his blog, that I realised just how well it was showing. The one I had seen was skulking in the bushes and staying hidden most of the time. There was definitely an opportunity to get a better picture.

Thursday was rain and gale force winds but Friday promised better weather and I set off early for Titchfield. A good decision, I got there just as it was getting light and was able to photograph the bird with only four people present. It was happily sitting in a cotoneaster by the visitors centre eating the berries. By the time I left, less than an hour later, the crowd was building and the bird was starting to look more agitated, snatching berries and flying to an adjacent tree to eat them.






It is a juvenile bird but with good markings and showing really well. I assume that it's bulking up on cotoneaster berries before completing a late migration to Africa.


















showing the undertail covert markings


and below the same bird but with a soft early morning sun looking more brown than grey








When the Visitors Centre opened I duly purchased my ticket and then took a walk around the reserve. Just as well the Barred Warbler was there or it would have been a total waste of money.

As it was, well worth the trip, giving me far better pictures than I had before.


1 comment:

  1. Superb shots of this notorious skulker Martin, very late in the year to see one!

    ReplyDelete